So you drank too much and now you’re feeling positively awful. Hangovers are the result of an over-worked liver struggling to clear out all the toxins and chemicals ingested with too much alcohol. It causes your blood sugar to drop, your body to get dehydrated and makes you feel absolutely exhausted. Though the absolute best cure for a hangover is simply to give your body time to clear out all the toxins, time isn’t a luxury everyone has. These home remedies will help you get back on your feet after a great night out.
How do I know if I have a hangover?
- Dry mouth
- Raging thirst
How do I prevent a hangover
The best way to prevent a hangover is to avoid excessive drinking. You can also follow these tips to lessen the likelihood of getting a hangover:
- Keep yourself well hydrated; mix in some water when you’re drinking.
- Keep yourself well fed; a well balanced diet or good meal before drinking will help your liver work just a little better.
How can I treat a hangover?
- Have a glass of tomato juice with a pinch of cayenne pepper, a little sugar and a squirt of lime. This will help rebalance your electrolytes and get your blood sugar back where it should be.
- Use some Tiger Balm on the back of your neck and your temples to help cure your headache.
- Take a wasabi bath. Wasabi helps to increase blood circulation, promote oxygenation, and help clear out metabolic wastes like those that build up after a night of drinking.
- No wasabi in the house? Make a bath of two tablespoons mustard powder in a warm bath. Soak in it for 20 minutes, then take a nap. You’ll feel wonderful when you wake up.
- Give yourself a foot massage; especially halfway down your foot on the outside. This is the reflex point for the liver!
- Eat a potassium rich banana to pick yourself back up.
- Have a glass of ginger tea to help control nausea.
- Have a glass of honey, lemon and hot water to restore electrolytes and help flush the alcohol out.